-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of Doug McGarrett
Sent: Tuesday, September 26, 2000 1:06 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [newbie] Installing 7.1 hangs at formatting boot partition

If there is still a manual install on the CD, then use it.  When you come
to fdisk, use fdisk to delete all partitions (except your Windows, if you
have that on the same drive) and save the results.  Now shut down, and
run your install routine.  I had a problem like this with some distro
(I think it was Corel.)  Not guaranteed, but it does answer your
question!  :-)  (If there is no manual install anymore, you'll probably
have to find an old distro, or perhaps d/l tomsrtbt and use that.)

At 07:39 AM 09/26/2000 -0500, Mark Johnson wrote:
>I had 7.0 initially and decided to upgrade to 7.1 via a complete reinstall.
>I did the Custom -> Development install type and chose the auto-allocate
>feature for partitioning the drive because I wanted everything blasted
away.
>However, installation hangs when trying to format the boot partition every
>time (I tried about 3 times).  I finally tried the automatic installation,
>the formatting of the partition went fine but when it got to the actually
>installation of the OS in hung while trying to install the LinuxConf
>packages (if I had to guess this is about the spot on the disk the the
>original boot partition was and got hung up again...).
>
>What up here, why would it be hanging on the formatting of the partitions?
>Is there a way I can make sure all the boot information is stripped off the
>drive and that it's entirely clean before doing the install?

To correct your partition table to original state:
A) Insert a DOS boot disk and reboot your computer
B) At the A:\> prompt, type in: fdisk /MBR
C) This will bring the partition table back to its original state
D) Remove the boot disk and insert your Linux installation CD
E) Shutdown your computer and restart your computer
F) Install Mandrake 7.1

Good Luck!

Roman
Registered Linux User #179293