All decent programs these days tend to go something like:

./configure
make
make install
ldconfig

When things go well that's about it. When they don't well then it is a lot
of digging through libraries and code. ;>

*^*^*^*
Was it a dream where you see yourself standing in sort of sungod robes
 on a pyramid with a thousand naked women screaming and throwing little
pickles at you? -- Real Genius