> STOP IT!!  NONE OF YOU KNOW WHAT IS GOING TO HAPPEN IN THE OS WARS!!!!

Yep...I confessed that early on :-)

>  I'm writing a new OS right now in GW-BASIC in MS-DOS 3.3 that will 0wn
>  linux.

More power to you.

>  Seriously, I hope Linux does well, but, who knows?  Do you all think that
>  Windows is just going to be setting still and let Linux beat it's socks off?
>  While some may not like ole' Bill G. you must admit that he is a smart man.

Yes...and my bet is that he's going to move Mickeysoft right out of the desktop
software market.  This will not be solely because of Linux of course but the
open source/FSF phenomenon is picking up steam.  We're seeing a lot of
application software being developed under these models that is finding its way
into even the Windows environment.  The result is going to be  a requirement to
drop software prices considerably and market share is going to drop at the same
time.  Right now the hardware industry seems hell-bent on supporting this
movement and are pumping lots of money into it.

Look at existing realities rather than speculation.  Microsoft has announced
that they will likely produce only one more MS-Office upgrade before this
product becomes an Internet-server distributed product.  They're putting all
their efforts into launching all their network plans and have obviously done
little to improve Windows with this last release.  And look at the price of
this upgrade; it's half what the last one was.  Bill's reacting, on that you
are correct.  But Windows IS sitting still right now and there are no signs of
that changing.

>  Maybe he is not smart enough and Linux will rule.  I very seriously doubt

Bill Gates is a very wise businessman.  He knows that to make money you have to
create products that people will pay for.  Manufacturing air is not good
business as right now everyone gets it free.  In the next few years this will
be the case for desktop software.

>  that either OS will be remotely recognizable in 10 years.  If that is the

Now there's reality!!!  "All of our products will be obsolete within 3 years.
The only question for us is whether it will be us or our competition that makes
it that way." --Bill Gates "Business @ the Speed of Thought".

It's the changes to Linux that should be discussed here in my view, and how to
encourage the development of a system such that the power users don't get
frustrated by the simplification mechanisms while, at the same time, those
simplification mechanisms can provide desktop alternatives for secretary pools
and such.

One of the reasons that I'm reluctant to become dependent upon things like
DrakeConf is exactly this issue.  Those interfaces are going to change quickly
and often as the distro folks figure out how to best provide needed facility
while protecting nonpower users from themselves and making the OS easy to use.
It's the same reluctance that had me sitting at the commandline of my Windows
95 machine.  Unfortunately, Microsoft removed my power to manipulate at that
level.  I'm hopeful that the Linux community will not allow that to happen to
Linux.

>  case, then both Bill and Linus are a couple of morons and they won't matter
>  anyway, because some other OS will have come along and dominated them.

Yep...I think one of the REAL powers of the distributed Linux community is that
if it heads in the wrong direction it'll be easier for new alternatives to pop
up.

Cheers --- Larry