If I remember right (which means I could be wrong : ) /dev contains the
files for every possible hardware device you could ever attach to your
system. That's why it's so big (my /dev has 2234 files, "ls /dev | wc -l"). I
remember reading an article on how the 2.2.4 kernel changes that so that the
only devices in /dev are the ones you actually use.

--
Anthony
http://binaryfusion.net