I remember programming in computer repair class,
we used the old Z80 cpu with just an alphanumeric
keyboard with a ribbon cable to the MB and
the old blue alphanumeric vacuum fluorescent display
using hex code, cpu instrucitons, accumulator register,
BC register, and all those other little wierdo registers.

then we moved on to using CPM.

then dos--eww.