Mark wrote;

> >try reinstalling and this time don't do the HDD optimization. I don't
> >think with a drive that big and a system as efficient as linux that you're
> >going to really need to worry about optimizing, and I suspect that there
> >is a small , but apparently noticable enough hardware conflict going on
> >there. I also suspect that it will all evaporate as soon as you install
> >without optimizing.

And evaporate it certainly did. You were all correct in spotting that this
problem was of my own making! In my defence I'll say I was distracted by the
fact that the installer didn't recognise all my RAM. I entered the correct
value, probably clicking the HDD optimisation, then clicking Ok without fully
reading the note.

It went like a dream when I did it properly! So I spent this evening playing
around with the KDE desktop... looking forward to the months of learning ahead.
Sigh!

My thanks to all who helped out.

Regards

Lance