dear friend;

i dont have specific info on mandrake 6.0 but it seems me as a general
problem faced so often in linux world among newbies. trying to optimize
startup services should solve your problem. if you start to many programs
and services at the startup time, sure theyll hold to much RAM of you. on
the other hand im quite sure about that, 64MB ram will be enough for you to
run Linux with a very high performance, specially compared to windowz.
by starting task manager you can also see which trivial services run at your
system. i hope this idea helps you a bit. best regards;

h.ozgur cagdas.