Joe Morris escribió:

> I'm working with Mandrake 7.1.  I decided to upgrade my kernel to 2.2.16, so
> I downloaded linux-2.2.16.tar.gz from kernel.org.

Hallo Joe!  I'm a newbie also!  So if someone finds something wrong, correction
will be apreciated!  8-)

I've downloaded the rpm's from Mandrake (actually kernel-source-2.2.16-9mdk)
and rpm-headers also; install them and you'll get the /usr/src/linux directory.

Have a look at the readme file.  You'll have to:
# cd /usr/src/linux
make mrproper
make xconfig (i prefer the graphical app; you can use the text one (menuconfig,
if i'm right)
    You can load a configuration file, modify some things and save it with a
different name...
make dep
make bzImage
make modules
make modules_install

And then you'll have to copy or move the file
/usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot/bzImage to /boot (you can rename it for, for
instance, kernel-2.2.16-test10).

Then you have to edit /etc/lilo.conf (what i've done is to add that new kernel;
once i've tested it i change the default one).  Here is my lilo.conf (hope that
helps!):

boot=/dev/sda6
map=/boot/map
install=/boot/boot.b
vga=normal
default=2.2.16-2
keytable=/boot/es-latin1.klt
lba32
prompt
timeout=50
message=/boot/message
image=/boot/vmlinuz
 label=2.2.15
 root=/dev/sda7
 initrd=/boot/initrd.img
 read-only
image=/boot/bzImage-2.2.16-2
 label=2.2.16-2
 root=/dev/sda7
 initrd=/boot/initrd.img
 read-only
image=/boot/bzImage-2.2.16-1
 label=2.2.16-1
 root=/dev/sda7
 initrd=/boot/initrd.img
 read-only
image=/boot/vmlinuz
 label=failsafe
 root=/dev/sda7
 initrd=/boot/initrd.img
 append=" failsafe"
 read-only
other=/dev/sda1
 label=dos
 table=/dev/sda
other=/dev/fd0
 label=floppy
 unsafe

--
Joan Tur. Ibiza - Spain
[EMAIL PROTECTED]  [EMAIL PROTECTED] ICQ 11407395