John:
I've got a Brother HL-1040. Like you, I figured it would be useless when
I moved to Linux. Happily, that wasn't the case. Following Brother's
advice, I told Linux that I had an HP Laserjet III. It works - all that
I gotta do is pick print, and the file prints. The one drawback is that
the resolution is only 300x300 rather than the native 600x600. That
isn't a problem with text, but graphics suffer a bit. (There's also the
moral issue of lying to a Penguin...) I don't know if your printer has
an emulation mode, and maybe your approach using ghostscript is a better
way to go.
Oh yes, the permissions on this box are rw-rw----, which is the way they
were set when I installed Mandrake. I've never (knowingly) fiddled with
them.
-- Regards,
-- cmg