I recently signed up to @home and have set up my Linux machine to connect at
bootup using dhcp-client (dhclient). One problem I have noticed over the past
few days is that after a while the network stops responding to any calls from
my browser, download manager, ping, etc. They don't give a message saying that
they can't find a network, they just simply sit there trying to connect.

The only way I could find to rectify this problem when it occurs is to
disconnect from the network and then reconnect. This is currently achieved by
running /sbin/ifdown as root to disconnect and then running /sbin/dhclient eth0
to reconnect.

This is not the best solution (ifdown is designed for dhcpcd, not dhclient,
but it works), and I'm sure that there's a far better way. Is there any way to
have a *constant* connection to the cable network and the Internet without the
need to disconnect and reconnect? I do not appear to have this problem in
WinDOS 98.

        Sridhar Dhanapalan
        Hi! I'm a .signature virus!
        Copy me into your ~/.signature to help me spread!