Hi all,

A friend of mine wants to install Linux but is having probs.  As I have had no
problems with installation I don't have a clue so maybe someone here can help.

He is trying to load linux onto a Compaq Prosignia P1 with a SCSI CD-ROM with
a smart array controller.  He used the 4.60 smartstart CD's to erase the current
setup and prepare his system for Linux for which Linux was a selectable option.

However, whatever he does he cannot seem to boot off the bootable CD.  He has
tried Red Hat, SUSE and LM7.1 but they just leave him with a blinking cursor in
the top left hand corner of the monitor and he is forced to reboot.

With Mandrake he gets a little further with Tux being displayed and the options
for auto or manual installation.  Both start OK, decompressing the boot
instructions but then a message appears saying:  "Boot failed - Please change
disks and start again."  Thing is, as he got the distribution from a cover disk
there isn't another to try.

Has anyone had a similar problem?

Thanks in advance

Andrew