On Sun, 08 Oct 2000, you wrote:
> Look what I found at http://setiathome.berkeley.edu/version30.html:
>
> Optimization of the FFT computation. We have adopted the highly optimized
> Ooura FFT routines developed at the University of Tokyo. Our tests show a
> 60% client speed up over version 2.x with a a 4% sacrifice in memory
> consumption.
>

> Told you I thought it is faster!

But a bit further down the page reveals...

The combined effect of FFT optimization, pulse detection, and the extended doppler
drift range is that a typical workunit will take about 40% longer to complete
with version 3.0 on any given platform. On balance, this gives the project the
best science for the CPU cycles used. We trimmed processing where we could to
lessen the impact on execution time. This of course affects the stats. It will
take longer to add to your results received statistic. While it might be nice
to somehow make version 3.0 workunits "worth more" stats wise, we have not
added that complexity.

Personally I did not notice all that much of a difference. My average time went
from a bit over 8 hrs, to about 9 1/2 hrs.  That's about an 18 or 19 % change

--
Alex
(Go easy on me, I'm a COBOL programmer in real life)