On Tue, 10 Oct 2000, you wrote:
> Is a version of the java virtual machine included in the Mandrake 7.1
> Complete package?  I chose the developers option during install, so I would
> assume that it would be installed for me if it's there...I tried to install
> StarOffice, but it could not find an environment to run in (couldn't find a
> java env.).  I will probably want to write java applets at some point:  I
> don't just want this for StarOffice.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

If you have the Deluxe version, you could install the Sun JDK from the
commercial applications disk.  I think that is one of the apps that is included
in the Deluxe version, but not the Complete version. If you don't have it you
can download a version that will work from www.blackdown.org.

If you have installed Java and StarOffice it did not find it during the
install. You will need to edit the ~/Office52/user/config/javarc file. Just
remove the offending version from the "ExcludeVersion" line. Then restart
StarOffice and select bookmarks -> Java -> Java Setup and then pick the
install.

 --
Alex
(Go easy on me, I'm a COBOL programmer in real life)