Rod,
    A couple of thoughts.  First, do I assume correctly that PnP aware O/S is
disabled in CMOS?
    About the time I joined newbie (about 6 months ago) there was a
discussion of Linux incompatible VIA motherboard chipsets causing problems.
I have VIA, but these incompatibilities didn't apply to me, and I only caught
the end of the discussion anyway.  Might be worth looking it up in the newbie
archives.  Since you say that Red Hat runs OK I know that this is reaching,
but....  the idea of motherboard chipsets does seem to link with your locking
up on PCI probe.  I assume install completes with no probing.
    I agree that the S3 is probably not the cause of this locking; S3 is
reputed to be well supported.  An install with generic server and 16 colors
should be safe for an install trial.  Have you tried the text based install?
    Have you done any overclocking or related optimizations?  I was
overclocking 15% for over a year and a half with no problems, but began to
have Windon't lockups on scandisk.  I thought the HDD was getting ready to
quit, but the problem was traced to the overclocking.  Memory timing
optimizations remained stable.  -Gary-

In a message dated 10/9/2000 9:24:27 PM Eastern Daylight Time,