Chris,
    Sometimes there is a problem with older versions installing on dma66
drives (I recall reading about Promise controller card issues).  7.1
installed and runs on my WesternDigital dma66 drive just fine.  WD drives
have the ability to switch to dma33 if one should run into problems; I
presume other drives do also.  Linux hdparm optimizations [see newbie
archives for discussion] worked better at the dma33 settings, so even having
to stay at the lower drive setting isn't any sacrifice to Linux performance.
(Your mileage may vary, of course.)
-Gary-

In a message dated 10/10/2000 7:33:17 AM Eastern Daylight Time,