Devon:
My suspect would be the Promise card. My memory ain't all that it could
be, but I have a recollection that they require special measures. You
might want to explore the hardware compatibility stuff at Mandrake and
Redhat. While you're at it, you might want to verify that the 3com modem
isn't a winmodem. If it is, more special measures. Of course, I could be
way off base on both comments...
cmg