hi there.  i'm a newbie myself, but maybe this will help.  did you install from a
mandrake package that you bought & has instrutions?  i ask because i purchased the
delux version of 7 & 7.1.  in the install instructions you are warned that if you are
duel booting, do NOT use the automatic install, use the custom install.  i have done
both the custom and advanced install with my system (duel booting win98se) and it
works most good.  since i have never done the automatic install i don't know what the
difference is or how exactly that might affect anything.

my first reaction is to say what others have told you, use a dos/windoze disk to
restore your MBR, then i would install linux again using the custom option to see if
that works.

as i've said, this is all theory to me as i haven't had this problem to actually fix
=)
but i hope this helps you somehow.

the fact that it will not let you boot a floppy is really strange....
what if you change your default= to the floppy????
that is just a guess.  if not, maybe there is a way to remove lilo so that your system
will simply boot from the A: drive like it would if there was no OS installed at all.
i don't know exactly how to do that...  so consult with someone more experienced than
me.   =)

Adrian Smith
'de telepone dude
Telecom Dept.
x 7042
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

>>> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 12:15:28 PM 10/11/00 >>>
Before I installed LM-7.1 I had a system running Win98-SE and a harddisk (20 GB) with
1 primary (5 GB) partition and 3 logical drives in the extended partition (each about
5 GB). During the installation I removed the partition corresponding to the last
logical drive and installed linux and swap partitions instead. Now after installation
I have the following problems.

1. After I reboot the machine LILO asks which OS to boot, when I choose windows it
just hangs while the HDD redlight remains on. Linux boots normal, though. Somebody
suggested using DOS' fdisk /mbr but I can not boot the machine from startup floppy
either. From linux I can access windows partitions and seems there is no data loss in
them. In short, LM (or LILO) does not permit me in anyway to boot to win98. In
desperation, I did a reinstall of LM but it did not work. This one is my most urgent
problem. How can I bring my WIN98 back?

I attached my lilo.conf file and the output from fdisk -l > zzz