> the correct driver for my monitor in the list, i just didnt see it
> the previous time i guess. I used DrakConf from within KDE to
> change the monitor and all went well.....

  as user or root?

until i started my pc
> this morning and saw that all settings were returned to the
> original and i couldnt even get a resolution of 800x600x8. When i
> change the monitor to the correct one, the settings arent saved
> for some reason.

      Boot to a text based console prompt (runlevel 3) and as root
run a X-config utility (I prefer XF86Setup).  Whichever utility you
use it will ask if you want to write the changes to the config file,
say yes.  BTW, if you use your computer everyday, you'll be better
off leaving it on 24/7.
--
Tom Brinkman        [EMAIL PROTECTED]         Galveston Bay