Robert,

I GOT IT!!!!!  But it sure wasn't easy!

Here are the steps I took to solving my little dilema....

1)  I had to uninstall Postfix for starters...Why in the first place did
    we need to use Postfix...it's touted as a "sendmail
    compatible....." well that being the case I think I'll just use
    sendmail.  So I did.  There were a few dependancies that had to be
    unsinstalled as well but they were pretty insignificant.

2)  Make sure you have the latest and greatest version of sendmail
    installed on your machine...this obviously can be obtained from
    ftp.rpmfind.net  The rpm installation does enough to get you started
    so don't rock the boat with sendmail yet.

3)  Download qpopper3.1 from http://www.qualcomm.com  (Don't look for an
    RPM)  Get the tar file and run ./configure and make and then go to the
    popper directory and copy the popper executable into a directory that
    is in your path or something....I put mine in /usr/local/lib  (don't
    ask why that was what the example used)

    *****************************IMPORTANT********************************

    If you are using shadow password, you should run configure with
    --enable-specialauth, for example:
    ./configure --enable-specialauth

    Otherwise you will get password authentication failures every time!

4)  In your inetd.conf file (/etc/inetd.conf) make sure that you have pop3
    enabled and change the line from:
    pop-3   stream  tcp   nowait  root  /usr/sbin/tcpd ipop3d
                                  to:
    pop-3   stream  tcp   nowait  root  /usr/local/lib/popper qpopper -s

5)  Run ps aux |grep inetd to find the process id and then kill -HUP the
    ability to pop your mail now  :-)

Ofcourse this only will help if you're ok with getting rid of
Postfix.  From what I understand there are security considerations in
sendmail that make postfix preferable....I say if you have your box locked
down well enough don't worry about it!  :-)

Hope this helps you Robert and Marshall thanks for the offer of help.

--