I've had this problem too.  All you have to do to fix this is boot to
failsafe mode and enter into your XF86Config-4 file the absolute paths
to your fonts.  You can run emacs from the command line by typing

emacs XF86Config-4

When you have made the changes that need to be made, hold down the CTRL
button and hit x and then s to save your changes.  Then Hold down CTRL
and hit x and then c to close emacs.

type startx to test it and you should be good.

Good Luck!

Abe

Robin Regennitter wrote:

> Yeah,  I had that problem once before.   I tried installing 4.0.1 into the
> Mandrake 7.1 and I had that same font error you were describing.  So I
> waited for the Mandrake 7.2rc to be release as 4.0.1 as the default.

 I just upgraded to 4.0.1 but get the following error when I 'startx'

--
The frammisgoshes should be distimmed because a frammisgosh is like a
farble