On Wednesday 25 October 2000 11:37 am, you wrote:
> Is wine just for windows?  Can it also run a DOS app under linux,
> or dosemu better?

> Jeff Malka

   never bothered to try dosemu.  _VERY_ rarely will dos apps
written to run either win or dos work either.  I've got some dos
apps I wrote compiled to run under Windoze a long time ago.  They
sort'a kind'a run with wine, but unsatifactorily (ie, unusable).
Same for the ones i wrote to run under dos. For the most part,
bottom line is you need to be a linux/windoze/wine guru for wine to
be anything more than a challenge or toy (take your pic). Even the
latest, wine-20001002.

  Let me say i've never tried any alternatives either (eg, vmware,
freemware[ http://www.freemware.org/ ], or any others). Besides,
_why_ ??  If you wanna run Winblows apps... dual boot.

   I should mention in addition to what I posted about editing
'wine.conf'  Sometimes I've installed a new version of Mandrake and
wine.conf is empty.  Others have reported the same.  My fix is to do
an ftp search for 'wine.ini', save it as /etc/wine.conf and edit it
to reflect your windoze mount point(s), as root of course.
--
Tom Brinkman        [EMAIL PROTECTED]         Galveston Bay