Hmmm.....

I had that simular problem with my 3com nic in my laptop. What those beeps
signify is Linux is detecting your card services and the card services is
reporting there is cards physically present. ( simular to the WIN9X bootup
sequence.) You are going to need to locate a compatible kernel module. Is this
device a modem, eth, or some other form of device? eth meaning nic or network
device. I'm running ADSL connected via nic. I had to use the tulip module for
my 3c574tx PCMCIA in Redhat 6.2.  The tulip kernel module is not compatible with
my card in mandrake 7.1. My isp is running DHCP protocols too. You still have
to get the drivers up and running first then enter in the correct servers.
(domain search path, hostnames, nameservers, etc) until the system will even
start to look at the internet. Once you have your drivers activated and
functioning, use netconfig from the prompt (not from xwindows) and engage the
tell Linux it's a DHCP you are looking for. by checking "DHCP, BOOTP" if
everything is correct, your network will fire right up. Also, in my case, when
I know my nic has been activated - I look at my laptop's LCD status screen...
the PCMCIA display "pulses" I am also running my network here (6 system
network) at 100 MBS. That might have something to do with the pulsing. who
knows.

Hope this helps a little. If all else fails, goto the manufacture of the cable
modem and see if there is a driver. if not, go here:

http://linux-directory.com/

they might not have what you are looking for off the bat but it's at least a
start.