> In a message dated 29-Oct-00 12:18:42 Central Standard Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED]

> writes:
>

> > I am a struggling newbie trying to teach myself Mandrake 7.1. I am unable
> > get connected to the internet. I am probably still in Windows mode. I've
> > been
> > using AOL as my ISP. Now that I've installed Mandrake, configured my modem

> > etc., can I still use AOL? I'm assuming not because I keep getting an
error
> > telling me there is no file to open the AOL program. So do what app do I
> > use
> > to get back online? Do I need to change service providers?
=====================
In a word:  "YES"
If you've taken the step to break away from M$, then  get a real ISP and
abandon aol as well.  AOL will NOT run on Linux as of yet (personally, I hope
it never does).  I used AOL in late 94, early 95.  The  tried a local ISP and
haven't looked back.  Not one busy signal in over 5 years!  I've never been
cut off.  Can you say you've NEVER gotten a busy from AOL in the last 5
years?
        Check out some of your local isp's, drop aol like a hot potato, and enjoy
linux with a real connection.
HTH,
Mike

"Always remember that I have taken more out of alcohol
than alcohol has taken out of me."
        --Winston Churchill

http://home.netscape.com/webmail