On Sun, 29 Oct 2000, Carroll Grigsby wrote:
> whatever. If you do decide to go to the above site, it would be a good
> idea to know the FCC ID number for your modem, as that is the primary
> means of identification. The FCC ID is usually written on a white paper
> tag on the card, which means that you have to look inside the box, and
> that's something that may be inconvenient while you're on line.
> Hope this helps,
> regards -
> - carroll

        As an addendum to this, even if the aforementioned web site says
'nay' on your winmodem, you can in some instances get it to work anyway.
My particular modem (ID'd by FCC number) is labeled in red as a
tool-of-Micro$oft winmodem incompatible with Linux, but I'm able to use
the Lucent drivers to connect anyway.  I don't know how, but I'm not going
to argue with the thing.  =)

        B.