By "failed" I mean it physically broke. After 2 years of use, the drive
failed for the first time. My distributor sent me a new one (after about 4
months waiting!), and this one failed after only a few months. In the lead-up
to the failure I had many bad blocks cropping up. It made clunky and
high-pitched scratchy noises. It sounded as if the drive arm could not keep
itself up and it kept falling down, scraping something in the process. My
third drive appears to be working fine after a few months of use, but I'm
being cautious...

--
Sridhar Dhanapalan
        "One World, One Web, One Programme." - Microsoft Promotional Ad.