> so I can't say just exactly what this involves.  I can say that
> while an /opt dir was created, it's empty

So I've noticed.  That's why I asked about "distro apps".  If Star Office
is a "distro app" there's not going to be much of anything that they're
going to be putting in /opt :-)

>      Can't say, I've never had any boot problems, other than to turn

Me neither until this one.  I played with it today (when I should have
been working) and found that I can eliminate it by using XFree3.3 or 4.01
without graphics acceleration.

> and RedHat.  You might try fiddlin with your Xconfig and resolution
> in DrakConf.  I had a minor glitch after I installed 7.2b3.  Altho

This is a pre-X problem.  Once I get X loaded everything works
fine.  Things seem to be going nuts when the simple text windows of grub
or lilo are being run.  That's why I can get past it by booting from a
floppy, which seems to have that menu local.  My suspicion is that it's
some loose pointer to the menu itself but I can't confirm it.

> 3dfx cards (Voodoo3) don't do 32bpp, just for grins, I chose

This machine has a Voodoo3000 and it's worked well with everything
else.  In fact, it works fine once I'm in 7.2 :-)

> something like 'SVGA that'll do 1024x768 @ 70'.  IOW's, I choose

That works on this system as well, though since my monitor and card are
listed I just select them and that works too.

> to run their monitor at max specs.  Monitors weaken with age, and

Kinda like me.

Cheers --- Larry