I had my @Home service working fine under Mandrake 7.1 with an Ethernet
card which uses the Macronix MX987x5 driver. Under 7.1 my Ethernet card is
autodetected and my Internet connection works perfectly after going through
the network installation wizard. With 7.2 it correctly identifies the same
Macronix driver as in 7.1, but I cannot establish an outside connection.

I can ping my IP, but when I try to ping my gateway or dns server I get
nothing.  However, I know something is going on because I can see the lights
on the cable modem blink as I try to ping the outside world.  Thus, it seems
the Ethernet card is doing something, but I'm not getting a connection.

Since I know I configured everything just as I did under 7.1 I cannot figure
out what the problem is. Has something changed with the way 7.2 configures a
network? Any suggestions on what to try next?

Another matter related to this has to do with the network configuration tool
part of DrakConf. When I double-checked all of my network entries using this
tool and saved any changes I noticed that field for host+domain cuts off the
end of long names. I verified this by looking at several of the
configuration files like /etc/sysconfig/network and
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0. Since @Home provides these really
long domain names you end up losing some of the characters if you use the
DrakConf utility. Thus, I had to edit all the affected files to correct for
this (not to mention reinstalling both 7.1 and 7.2 several times each - 7.1
always works, while 7.2 always fails).