after playing around with the 'route' command (thinking i had failed to
set up the box that was connected to the internet properly) i ran
'route' on my second box and realised that it didn't know what to do
with packets for an ip address that wasn't part of the local network
i.e. 192.168.0.0 or 127.0.0.0, i ran 'route add -net 0.0.0.0 gw
192.168.0.1 netmask 0.0.0.0 dev eth0' and after a couple of minutes
netscape on the second box connected to netscape.com

however

it is very slow, now even with a download (dial-up) occurring to the
same second box i would have thought 10mbit/s ethernet between the two
was sufficient to transfer files one way and to access the net the
other, if i use netscape from the same box doing the download the speed
(though lessened by downloading at the same time) is acceptable.
does anyone know of some setting or reason why net access from the
second box shold be so slow?

what info should i give here?

bascule