I have tracked the following down.
Here is what the error log says after matching the
host config irq to harddrakes results on the device.
So now I (think) that my setup(host config) now agrees
with what harddrake reports as the irq being used by
the 3com card. As well, by using eth0, i finally have
the device starting and stopping without errors. Still
nothing though, nada....This log file is better than
all the previous ones, at least the device is now
starting and stopping. ) (weak!)
Can anyone make heads or tails of this?

Checking base configuration
    Checking kernel's modules
    Mounting local modules
        Executing local volumes
        *mount: could not find any free loop device
        *return 2
    Checking files permissions
    Executing:/etc/rc.d/rc5.d/S10network reload
        >Shutting down device eth0 [ OK ]
        >Bringing up device eth0 [ OK ]
        >Bringing up route eth0 [ OK ]
    Executing:/etc/rc.d/rc5.d/S50inet restart
        >Stopping INET services: [ OK ]
        >Starting INET services: [ OK ]

Thanks,

john