On Saturday 11 November 2000 08:53 am, john wrote:
> This is going to sound strange, but it worked.
> It seems that some cards w/acceleration dont all that
> much care for linux.

   Not strange, mostly just damn unfortunate.  No.1 reason that some
hardware won't work or work well with Linux is that the
manufacturer refuses to release open source drivers.  So while the
hardware might be the some of the best available, it's operation
with Linux is questionable.  Without the source for the driver (eg,
Nvidia's drivers), Linux developers don't know if even a minor code
change in the kernel for example, will render closed source binary
only drivers useless to sort'a broken.

    Linux, any distro, doesn't like cheap low end hardware designed
for windoze, and at the same time, doesn't like some of the highest
quality hardware for the open source reason I gave above.  It's
unfortunate that some manufacturers don't support Linux.  Those that
release binary only drivers, without the source actually are worse,
IMO, than those who refuse any Linux support at all. They want your
money, but refuse to help.
--
Tom Brinkman        [EMAIL PROTECTED]         Galveston Bay