Susan:

I have found the same (or similar) problem.  Actually, I consistently have
the problem when I physically remove a CD drive from the machine (kudzu
removes it on re-boot).  When I replace the CD drive, everything looks great
- like the drive is there (kudzu sees it, and re-installs it) - but I get the
same messages you do.  So far, the only solution I have found is to
re-install Mandrake and leave the CD drive in.  However, I am working with 60
machines - only 10 have CD drives.  I now set up Samba so that I
do not need the CD drive, and can remove it, accessing my rpms from the Samba
server.

 I know this doesn't "solve" the problem - but perhaps it helps to shed some
light.

Best wishes.............

Robert Maynord