Dear Mandrake Linux people:

PLEASE HELP!

I have installed Mandrake Linux 7.2 on my Pentium 1,
90MHz, 32MB computer. My videocard is ATI Tech
Mach64GX, rev D, display is ViewSonic 7, 1024x768,
70Hz

During the installation Linux said something like
"cannot recongnize your ISA SCSI ... " smth, I didn't
know what it was, so I just ignored that. (may be it's
not even related to my display problem)

At the time of the first login, my x-display couldn't
start. I had to change in my x configuration file the
"color depth" from 24 to 8. Frequency and everything
else I left as it was. As the result, I can run
x-display and IceWM window manager, but it dies
suddenly and often - at any time, it really seems to
be a random thing - sometimes opening a new window
kills my system, sometimes typing in x-console kills
my system .... I think it's a video-error, because
Linux runs just fine without x-display, in text mode
it never crashes.

Please tell me what can be wrong with my video setup.
How can i find out correct settings for my display?

BTW: i used to have RedHat and Corel Linux on my comp,
and i never had any problems with those.

Thank you very much,
Vladimir.