Running mandrake 7.2 here.
Ok, now whilst working on my problems with the mounting of cdrom,
I made some headway and was in kpackage as root. I was messing
in the kpackage, just looking at some rpm files, you know with the
explanation of them on the right. Well I decided to leave the kpackage
program, so I left, and when I did returning to root's desktop, suddenly
for no reason the menu that pops up from the k start button was missing
most of the kde related icons and menus. I HAD NOT DONE ANYTHING
to cause the menu to be missing half of the menu items.
I was devastated. I did nothingrelated to working with the menu.
So I hurredly logged out of root, did  not save session and logged back in
as user to see if something had happened to the user menu, but I checked
and it was all there. So then I logged back in as root to see if the menu
would come back and it has not. Here is all that pops up from the kde
start button using root: listed from bottom(just above K) to top:
logout
lock screen
about kde
panel menu
run
quick browser
recent documents
bookmarks
applications
amusement
Please help I did nothing to remove all these menu listings but I need them
back as root,
here are the ones I need back:
home directory
help