On Monday 13 November 2000 16:41, you wrote:
> I have a pctel modem installed on my computer with mandrake 7.0.
> When dialing up the internet number everithing is going fine, but when
> it says "starting pppd" it hangs up. I dont know if is the modem or the
> drivers, i'm very newbie, like 2 months of xperience.

PCTel supplies its own linux driver.  Someone here hacked on it (the public
part of it) http://www.mandrakeforum.com/article.php3?sid=20000717173418
gives the announcement.  The actual driver can be found at

http://AdvancedExtranet.com/pub/drivers/

This is an unsupported driver.  PCTel is producing an HSP modem-like device
that transfers the responsibility for signal processing and every other modem
thiong to the host processor.  In other words it is a modem only with a pile
of secret software that gets your computer to do the work that belongs in the
hardware that is present in a real modem.

Anyway, installation is fairly simple

1. download the file by shift-clicking on pctel.tgz

2. start up a Konsole and do su - to get into root mode.  Give the password
and then

# chmod 0777 /home/yourusername/pctel.tgz

3. click on the house on your kde panel and then right-click on pctel.tgz in
the kfm window; select archiver and extract to /home/yourusername

4. in your Konsole,

# cd /home/yourusername/pctel
# ./install.sh

If you have 7.1 that will do it.  If you have 7.0, load kernel 2.2.15 first
...  Others on this list can help you do that.

--
Mandrakesoft Inc       [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Paris, France