Title: RE: [newbie] size of log files

This also begs the question, is there a file or files that one should periodically clear out to prevent filling up a disk with garbage? I have found nothing in my reading that says it is necessary, but just maybe I missed it.

-----Original Message-----
From:   [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]] On Behalf Of philomena
Sent:   Monday, November 13, 2000 1:32 PM
To:     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject:        Re: [newbie] size of log files

Hi Alan,

I will subscribe to that list, but my question is not really a
PMFirewall question - its about controlling the size of the system log
files - since I saw a syslog.gz , which I know I didn't create, I am
assuming there is some system  utility that compressed the
/var/log/syslog file when it reached some filesize. The same happened
with /var/log/messages - there was a messages.gz, which I didn't create.
Is there a system parameter or service that monitors and controls the
size of specified log files ? If so, I want to set that max file size to
something small, so that my system doesn't go haywire while I am workign
on the firewall issue.

Thanks,
philomena