So, 7.2 betas 1 through 3 autodetected my Voodoo5 and configured it for
3d acceleration without any intervention on my part.  I just installed
7.2 full and while it did detect my V5 I cannot get hard ware
acceleration to work.  The Xlog file says this:

(II) Module mouse: vendor="The XFree86 Project"
        Module class: XFree86 XInput Driver
        ABI class: XFree86 XInput driver, version 0.1
(II) TDFX: Driver for 3dfx Banshee/Voodoo3 chipsets: 3dfx Banshee,
        3dfx Voodoo3, 3dfx Voodoo5
(--) Assigning device section with no busID to primary device
(WW) TDFX: No matching Device section for instance (BusID PCI:1:0:1)
found
(--) Chipset 3dfx Voodoo5 found
(II) resource ranges after xf86ClaimFixedResources() call:

and this about it:

(II) TDFX(0): Textures Memory 22.24 MB
[drm] failed to load kernel module "tdfx"
(EE) TDFX(0): DRIScreenInit failed, disabling DRI.
(II) TDFX(0): Using XFree86 Acceleration Architecture (XAA)
(==) TDFX(0): Write-combining range (0xd8000000,0x4000000)
(II) TDFX(0): Textures Memory 22.24 MB
[drm] failed to load kernel module "tdfx"
(EE) TDFX(0): DRIScreenInit failed, disabling DRI.
(**) TDFX(0): DPMS enabled
(II) TDFX(0): direct rendering disabled

whats up?  It look sto my highly untrained eyes that the X startup
process can only find half of the video card but I don't know what the
hell I'm talking about.

I tried recompiling the tdfx module from the linux.3dfx.com web site and
when I installed it I got messages that it conflicts with a kernel
module.

Other then this 7.2 is great.  It feels more fluid, faster, more
stable.  Keep up the great work mandrake folks!

Abe