I recently posted re. problems I've had with a garbled video
signal appearing in place of the screen blanking in standby
mode.

Now I have a configuration that works (after many attempted
permutations):  turn off APM, ACPI, and BIOS-level power
management options in the BIOS and set display power
management with xset dpms 600 0 0, and *not* with the KDE
power management configuration control panel.

Power management under Mandrake looks like a black box to
me.  I'd still be interested in any references that explain
what control programs are using what power management
systems, what Mandrake supports/doesn't support, and known
issues with specific hardware.

Thanks.