The way I got round it was to install or make sure the numlock RPM was
installed (can't remember which now)
Then I went into the Autostart folder :-
/home/.kde/Autostart and created a new Application - set permissions to RWX
for user and "execute" is simply /usr/X11R6/bin/enable_X11_numlock
This switches numlock on when KDE starts