>> After I hit the shut down button, Mandrake begins
>> a shut down sequence. And the machine actually beeps stating that
it's
>> shutting down but immediately after it shuts down, it auto reboots
itself.

This is a hardware problem, particularly with a lot of older machines.
You've got APM enabled in the BIOS, and Mandrake is issuing a power off
after shutdown command, but the hardware is blinking back on and
starting the reboot process again. Either disable APM or twiddle with
the BIOS setting for it. Really old hardware wou;dn't shut off at all,
mot of the new stuff correctly powers down, but I've got a few machines
around here that do exactly what you describe. I just killed APM on
them.