Hi,

hardware is AMD thuderbird 850 /Asus A7V motherboard / 128 Mb SDRAM Seagate
barracuda 30Go ATA66 (Promise 66 controller)( 15 Go partition for WinME) /
Asus v7100 GeForce MX 32Mb / Panasonic R/RW 32X

        Red Hat fails to install, which is no much surpise with my ATA66
controller. I got an install boot image from the Promise web site and it
installed fine. Unfortunately, the boot disk made by Linux does not boot my
machine and the one provided at Promise do not work for some reasons. So I
got Mandrake 7.2, that fully support ATA66.

        Alas! The install loops at the "create filesystem" step (mind you, after
successfully detecting my hard drive) asking me if I have a SCSI controller
(or card?) and NOT taking no for answer. I have then to hit the infamous
reset button and move on to something else.

        The UDMA-HOWTO does not work for me, Linux ignores my commands:

        linux ide2=0X9800,.... ide3=0X9000,...
        as well as it ignores
        linux ide0=... ide1=...

        Some suggested to downgrade to 33 instead of 66, which is fine with me, but
I don't know how to do this.

        That was the background. I'd like to know if anyone have been through a
similar situation and how they solved it.

        I just cannot believe that I can't run any Linux on my machine that I
bought especially for this.

        Have a good day,

        Christian