Joel B <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I currently have linux booting directly into the x-windows logon screen
> instead of the standard linux login screen ie;
>
> Kernel 2.2.15-4mdk on an i686
> login:
>
> How do I exit x-windows completely and drop me to my shell prompt?
> As of now my only option is to 'logoff' which will simply drop me back to
> the x-windows logon screen.
>

> Thanks for your help in advance,
>
> Joel
> newbie
===========================
Hi Joel,
You might change your /etc/inittab
Look for the line:
id:5:initdefault
and change the 5 to a 3
You will then always boot into a non-gui environment, and will have to type
startx to get into the gui.
If you don't want to go that route, you can just try hitting ctrl+alt+F2 to
get to a terminal mode [ctrl+alt+F7 should get you back to your X
environment].
HTH,
Mike

"Always remember that I have taken more out of alcohol
than alcohol has taken out of me."
        --Winston Churchill

http://home.netscape.com/webmail