as root, enter the command init 3.

You will need the init command a lot, so I will explain its use:

the init command switched the systems runlevel. The high the runlevel
the more is loaded. level 0 is off, level 1 is single user, level 3 is
text mode, I think level 5 is xwindows.

KompuKit wrote:

> I installed the store version (MacMillian's 7.2 Mandrake)
> However....it said that it located and installed my
> soundcard
> but for some reason...I can't play wavs...or hear system
> default
> startup wav...at all.  I tried to setup using SNDCONFIG in a
> terminal...but it says I shouldn't configure under xwindow
> envirorment.  How can I restart to a prompt...but still be
> able to
> auto re-start later back to X.
> --
>              Registered Linux User:167369
> Kit Goins                                   ICQ# 7110071
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]                                 Lowell, Mass.
> Web Designer            http://kitdesigns.bizhosting.com
> WebServer:              http://kompukit.dyndns.org
> (Server Runs between M - F 6pm-12am, S & S 12pm-12am EST)

Goldenpi- programer, unreal level creator, linux user and all round
geek.
If you are reading this, I sent this mail from linux.