On Thursday 23 November 2000 07:11 pm, SKLIM wrote:
> Thank Marco
>
> I have StarOffice 5.2 . I just want to make my wine work with
> Office97

    While you can use wine to start Office 97, it's almost certain it
will be entirely unusable. The best source of info for setting up and
using wine is the wine-howto, paying particular attention to wine.conf
example configuration. Your wine.conf must accurately reflect the
location (ie, hda1) of your Windoze and other drives/partitions. That
is really the only thing that needs to be done to use wine.  Windoze
does not need to be installed, but then the Win-app and all it's
dependencies (.dll, .vdx, .ini, etc) must be.  It's prob'ly obvious
that this approach is very difficult.

    For the most part, few if any Windoze apps will run satisfactorily
with wine.  One notable exception is Forte's Agent (mail/news). If a
Linux user must maintain the ability to use windoze apps, the best
option is to dual boot, followed by a solution like VMware ($$) or
Plex86 (free), and as a last resort .... wine.  While this is just my
opinion, I believe I'm safe in saying it's a widely held one.
--
Tom Brinkman       [EMAIL PROTECTED]     Galveston Bay