On Friday 24 November 2000 05:52 am, Benjamin Sher wrote:

> I dowloaded the Red Hat 7.0 switchdesk files as follows:

    Many KDE1 apps and system files will not work with KDE2.  KDE2
lacks some functions and apps that KDE1 had simply because they could
not be readied for use when KDE2 was ready.  This was widely available
info before KDE2 was released.

> So I did a search for this file using Google (in Gnome/Netscape). I
> found it listed under "libstdc++-2.96-54.i386.rpm". When I tried to
> install this file, I got a message that this installing this file
> needed another file. I managed to install it anyway using the rpm
> -Uvh --nodeps.

    Very unfortunate decision to try to upgrade or install system
files, _especially libraries and headers_, using --force or --nodeps.
RH 7 is broken and buggy because they tried to make the jump from the
2.95 libraries to 2.96.  Now you've done the same to your Mandrake 7.2
system.  Benjamin, I know you're an experienced user, the situation
with 2.96 (which is still unstable in today's cooker) is also easily
obtainable information.
--
Tom Brinkman       [EMAIL PROTECTED]     Galveston Bay