Subject: Re: [newbie] Time set
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
From: Cyphfer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 24 Nov 2000 06:27:49 PST

On Fri, 24 November 2000, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Dennis Myers wrote:
>
> > Ok, I give up. what does it take to get the clock to stay set in linux.
> > My bios clock is correct. My desktop clock changes every time I reboot.
> > I can not get it to lock in to my bios clock. Any Ideas?
> >
> > --
> > Dennis M. a registered Linux user #180842
> >

> I don't have a really good explanation but I can tell you what worked for
> me. I had Mandrake 7.2 installed on two different machines..same
> motherboards but different BIOS revision dates. The one with the newer BIOS
> date worked fine...the one with the older exhibited exactly the same
> symptoms as you outline. Updating the BIOS to the newer version cured the
> problem on the malfunctioning PC. BTW...the machine that experienced the
> proble also exhibited the same behavior with another distro with specs
> similar to MDK 7.2
>
> Paul

Hehe.  Windoze victim!  Most Unix/Linux systems keep their time using Univeral Time or
Greenwich Mean Time (GMT), but Microsoft systems keep their time as local time.  When
you set the time in either system, you set the CPU clock to that version of time.
Then when you boot the other system, it interprets what is in the CPU clock
differently and reports a different time.

The fix:

Run timeconf as root

The Configure Timezones dialog box appears.  Set your system clock to GMT by selecting
the Hardware Clock Set to GMT option at the top of the screen.

Then Deselect the Hardware Clock Set to GMT option

Close timeconf

Finally reset the time to the proper value using the date command after you reboot.

Good luck!

Registered Linux user # 195773

"Under no circumstances will I ever purchase anything
offered to me as the result of an unsolicited email
message. Nor will I forward chain letters, petitions,
mass mailings, or virus warnings to large numbers of
others. This is my contribution to the survival of the
online community."

Free Unlimited Internet Access! Try it now!
http://www.zdnet.com/downloads/altavista/index.html