First you might want to check the levels by running xmixer from root.

As a last ditch attempt to get it up, try this command line from root

# modprobe sb io=0x220 dma=1 mpu_io=0x330 irq=5

This loads the SoundBlaster module and all the modules that go with it.  If you see a
warning about the sound module already being loaded, you can safely ignore it.  If
however, you see an error message about the interrupt number in use the command
cat/proc/interrupts to examine the interrupts being used on your Linux system and
check the documentation for your sound card. Then try the above command again with a
appropriate parameters.

On Fri, 24 November 2000, "Joseph Markham" wrote:

> had same problem  - gave up on midi as mp3 sounds better
>
> Joseph

Registered Linux user # 195773

"Under no circumstances will I ever purchase anything
offered to me as the result of an unsolicited email
message. Nor will I forward chain letters, petitions,
mass mailings, or virus warnings to large numbers of
others. This is my contribution to the survival of the
online community."

Free Unlimited Internet Access! Try it now!
http://www.zdnet.com/downloads/altavista/index.html