I had the same problem. I was trying to speed up my system by removing some
fonts I didn't use (so that xfm wouldn't need to load them into RAM), and I
accidentally removed one or more fonts that X needed for startup. Next time
I rebooted my laptop, WHAM! Same error message you are getting. After
installing (from console mode: 'rpm -Uvh foo-bar.rpm') every rpm I could
find on both CD's that appeared font-related, I still could not start X.
So, I reinstalled Mandrake, and everything is fine. Fortunattely for me,
nothing on this laptop is mission critical, so it was a simple process to
restore the little data I had.

Dave

At 08:45 AM 11/30/2000 +0200, you wrote:
>Hi
>
>I am getting an error starting up Xfree. I have an S3 Trio 64V+ and am
>getting the following error:
>"An error has occurred:
>could not open default font 'fixed'
>try to change some parameters."
>
>Please help, this is for a demo for my IT Manager to convert from Red Hat to
>Mandrake.
>
>Regards
>
>Kim White
>Senior Technician
>[EMAIL PROTECTED] <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>http://www.megchem.co.za <http://www.megchem.co.za>

Dave Sherman
SoftServ Business Systems, Inc.

"Quid quid latine dictum sit, altum viditur."