Do the following:

Do not reinstall Linux Mandrake 7.2.

Try to print directly to the laser printer by entering (you can use any
short text file):

   cat ~/.bashrc > /dev/lp0

If this works (at least some of the text visible), there is a problem
with the printer spooler (CUPS or LPD), otherwise there is a problem
with the kernel and its modules or with the hardware.

To solve the printing spooler problem, try a clean reinstallation: clean
up your system by entering

   urpme cups lpr

saying yes to the deletion of all dependent packages and entering

   rpm -rf /etc/cups /var/log/cups /var/spool/cups /var/spool/lpd

Download and install the updated CUPS packages from

   http://www.mandrakesoft.com/~tkamppeter/packages/

To download and install the packages simply copy and paste this into a
terminal window:

   mkdir update
   cd update
   wget
http://www.mandrakesoft.com/~tkamppeter/packages/cups-1.1.4-7mdk.i586.rpm
   wget
http://www.mandrakesoft.com/~tkamppeter/packages/cups-drivers-0.3.6-39mdk.i586.rpm
   wget
http://www.mandrakesoft.com/~tkamppeter/packages/ghostscript-5.50-44mdk.src.rpm
   wget
http://www.mandrakesoft.com/~tkamppeter/packages/ghostscript-module-SVGALIB-5.50-44mdk.i586.rpm
   wget
http://www.mandrakesoft.com/~tkamppeter/packages/ghostscript-module-X-5.50-44mdk.i586.rpm
   wget
http://www.mandrakesoft.com/~tkamppeter/packages/ghostscript-utils-5.50-44mdk.i586.rpm
   wget
http://www.mandrakesoft.com/~tkamppeter/packages/samba-2.0.7-19mdk.i586.rpm
   wget
http://www.mandrakesoft.com/~tkamppeter/packages/samba-client-2.0.7-19mdk.i586.rpm
   wget
http://www.mandrakesoft.com/~tkamppeter/packages/samba-common-2.0.7-19mdk.i586.rpm
   wget http://www.mandrakesoft.com/~tkamppeter/packages/drakgw
   wget http://www.mandrakesoft.com/~tkamppeter/packages/cups-print.txt
   rpm -Uvh *.rpm
   cp drakgw /usr/sbin
   chmod a+rx /usr/sbin/drakgw

Reinstall the CUPS frontends:

   urpmi xpp qtcups kups

Now install your laser printer as described in cups-print.txt or as in

   http://www.mandrakeuser.org/hardware/#4th

Try the installation of the printers with "printerdrake" at first.

Tell me exactly, step by step, what you have done, which program you
have used, which driver you have chosen, and so on. Does "kups" show the
printer ports? Do "printerdrake", "kups", and the web interface
(http://localhost:631/) autodetect the printers? Do you get error
messages? Can you print the test page, can you print from applications
as described.

If you still cannot print can you send me the files
/etc/cups/cupsd.conf, /etc/cups/printers.conf, /etc/cups/ppd/*.ppd,
/var/log/cups/error_log, and the output of the "lsmod" command.

Check also whether the CUPS daemon (the program which runs in the
background waiting for printing jobs and processing them) is running? Do

   ps auxwww|grep cups

If there is a line containing "cupsd" in the output, the daemon is
running. If not, enter

   service cups start

to start  the CUPS daemon for the current session and

   chkconfig --add cups

to make the CUPS daemon automatically being started at every boot.

Now try the ink jet. Do the same as with the laser. If this printer is
not autodetected, enter

   modprobe printer
   service cups restart

and try again. Note that CUPS needs something like 30 seconds to come
up.

When you haveboth printers working, reboot and check whether they still
work. If the USB printer does not work any more but the laser printer
still works, edit the /etc/sysconfig/usb file adding the line

   PRINTER=yes

and do

   service USB restart
   service CUPS restart

and try to print on the USB printer again.

   Till