Someone on the SuSE list told me how to solve this:
do ls -l cdrom (or whatever your mnt file is called).
It very likely points to something else.  The output
looks something like this:
ls -l cdrom
cdrom -> sdc1

change the permissions on whatever the file that is pointed TO.
I made mine 444, don't know if that's the best, but it seems to work.
--doug