Check your /etc/modules.conf file. It should contain

   alias parport_lowlevel parport_pc
   pre-install plip modprobe parport_pc ; echo 7 > /proc/parport/0/irq

Add the lines if they are missing and give the command

   depmod -a

Now the modules for the parallel port are loaded automatically as soon
as one tries to access the parallel
port.

KDE 2 seems to have a problem in the system info program, the IRQ for
the parallel port is not listed even when I am printing.

In general

   modprobe parport_pc

loads the modules for the parallel port.

   Till